10 years later, at my competitive ex-boyfriend's insistence, we had a banana bread baking contest. I won, hands down, using this recipe, even though the judging was conducted by his friends.
Anyway, here's the recipe, and enjoy, thanks to Robin's mom, Sue!
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 large, ripe bananas (ripeness is key to this recipe)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
cinnamon-sugar mixture (for topping)
1 Tbsp. melted butter (for topping)
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Beat in eggs one at a time
- Mix in mashed bananas
- Sift dry ingredients and stir into the banana mix
- Add the choc chips (I prefer milk choc because semi-sweet is too bitter paired with the bananas)
- Pour into a 9x5x3 loaf pan (make sure to grease the pan, of course)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
While the cake is still warm, pour melted butter over it and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over.